Tax Tip: 5 tips for taxpayers making a move

Tax Tip: 5 tips for taxpayers making a move

A tax tip from

The IRS offers five tips for taxpayers who have moved or are about to move. If you've changed your home or business address, make sure you update that information with the IRS to ensure you receive any refunds or correspondence from the IRS.

1. How to Change Your Address

You can change your address on file with the IRS in several ways:

- Correct the address legibly on the mailing label that comes with your tax package;

- Write the new address in the appropriate boxes on your tax return;

- Use Form 8822, Change of Address, to submit an address or name change any time during the year;

- Give the IRS written notification of your new address by writing to the IRS center where you file your return. Include your full name, old and new addresses, Social Security Number or Employer Identification Number and signature. If you filed a joint return, be sure to include the information for both taxpayers. If you filed a joint return and have since established separate residences, both taxpayers should notify the IRS of your new addresses; and

- Should an IRS employee contact you about your account, you may be able to verbally provide a change of address.

2. Notify Your Employer

Be sure to also notify your employer of your new address so you get your W-2 forms on time.

3. Notify the Post Office

If you change your address after you've filed your return, don't forget to notify the post office at your old address so your mail can be forwarded.

4. Estimated Tax Payments

If you make estimated tax payments throughout the year, you should mail a completed Form 8822, Change of Address, or write the IRS campus where you file your return. You may continue to use your old pre-printed payment vouchers until the IRS sends you new ones with your new address. However, do not correct the address on the old voucher.

5. Postal Service

The IRS does use the Postal Service's change of address files to update taxpayer addresses, but it's still a good idea to notify the IRS directly.

Visit for more information about changing your address. At, you can also find the address of the IRS center where you file your tax return or download Form 8822, Change of Address. The form is also available by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).


- Form 8822, Change of Address (PDF 60K)

- Tax Topic 157, Change of Address — How to Notify IRS

Remember that all of the web page addresses for the official IRS website,, begin with Don' t be confused or misled by Internet sites that end in .com, .net, .org or other designations instead of .gov. The address of the official IRS governmental Web site is

Powered by Frankly
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2021 WNCONTENT. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy, and Terms of Service, and Ad Choices.